Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Out of the Mouth of (My) Babes

I am in full swing recovering from two labor day celebrations and three birthday celebrations. I have weeks and months worth of things to complete, but I really wanted spend my day editing all the fun photos we took from this past weekend. I had the goal of having them in albums and sent out by noon, but instead I had to take the dog to the vet, and I got the wrong medicine for him. Then, I shopped for back to school supplies for my daughter, but while doing so, lost my "to-do" list. So, I spent an hour trying to find it. Then, I shopped for two birthday parties for next weekend, picked up prescriptions, picked up my kid, helped him with his homework, and then got around to helping my daughter with her "all about me" poster for tomorrow...and it's already 6pm. Dinnertime. Didn't make it to the store. Where's the live-in assistant, meal planner, grocery shopper and chef when you need her? Or wait, I'm it. But I digress...

In the midst of all the crazy hustle and bustle, I just have to pause and make sure I share. We are quickly filling in all of the categories for her poster and I'm holding the reins tightly on my type A personality who really wishes it were a bit more color-coordinated and within the lines. We're almost finished when we run across this one...the big one...the mac-daddy...the one all children must figure out before entering their last year of preschool. Or at least maybe before entering their last year of college? And definitely before you start your first job! Staring up from the page and demanding an answer, there it was...

What do you want to be when you grow up?

And in her sweet little way she quickly and easily comes up with this....

"Umm, I don't really know yet. No wait...maybe a princess.
Or a Mom."

And the little voice in my head wants to respond "That's okay my dear, I'm thirty-two and neither do I. And yes...a princess would be nice. But, being a mom isn't so bad either."

Instead, I just say, "Great job peanut, I think you're ready for preschool."

No comments:

Post a Comment